March 21, 2015

The Florida Bungalow

Well, it's been 8 months since we moved to Florida.  And I'm remembering that this little blog really was a good way to update my family and friends on our nomadic med school life. A fun way of keeping in touch.  A way that I've neglected since we became Floridians.

So without further delay, here's a first glimpse into our current life for those who have asked.

Several of you have asked how my dad is doing.  He's recovering and has put a lot of hard work into relearning to walk.  He's still himself, maintaining a good sense of humor, a laid back attitude, and patient perspective.  Still, travel is a bit tricky for him right now, so these pictures are a way to bring my life to him:)

I just love the home God has provided for us here.  We found it online 2 weeks before we moved away from Kansas City. Two weeks.  When I saw it, I sensed God's peace and knew it was the place he had for us for this next season.  He always provides.

In Colorado, He provided an apartment I deem "The Mountain Escape".

In Kansas City, He brought us to an apartment I affectionately call "The Tree House".

Here in Florida, He's settled us in "The Bungalow", a rental house.  Our first house actually. Well, not ours, I suppose.  But a house nonetheless.  And I'm so grateful for it.

It was the perfect location for both Matt and I to commute to work, and it didn't have any loud, obnoxious paint colors.  Thank you, Jesus. 

Behold The Bungalow:
They call sunrooms "Florida rooms" down here.  So here is the "Florida" room.
That couch is from Ikea, and the ottoman was a Craigslist score.





















We needed an L-shaped console table for the "Florida room".  Matt offered to make me one. My man, while very smart and capable, had never, to my knowledge, made furniture by hand before.  I was a little skeptical.  But, not wanting to spoil his sweet offer, I told him what I had in mind.  Then, true to his word, he got to work and made me a table (two in fact!)

hard at work making my vision come true
he was so pleased that it was sturdy enough to stand on 3 legs


Almost done making his first piece of furniture.  I was amazed.



applying the stain  
Matt said, "That's a lot lighter than I thought it would be.  Did you remember to stir it first?"
Wait.  I was supposed to stir it?  Whoopsie.

Once painted and stained, we positioned the two tables in an L-shape to look like one piece.
Thank you, honey!
 Backing up a little bit, here is the living room where we do a lot of living:



I've had this dresser since before I met Matt.  It wouldn't fit in our tiny bedroom here, so it got repurposed as a TV stand.  I like the look of the wood in here.
Our frames got a sophisticated, neutral update.
To see Sara's photography site click here. 






This is a scene from Park Ave.around the corner from us.
It's the cutest little tree-lined, brick street of shops and restaurants here in Winter Park.



He's so handsome.
I'm a fan of blankets, even in Florida.  Matt named this one "Sweet Baby Gray".
dining nook
Our table just baaarely fit in this space.
guest room
Be. our. guest!  Be our guest!  Put our service to the test!
guest room
and a touch of my hometown


The picture above is one my mom took in the Marietta Square.  It was for a photography class assignment where she had to show parallel lines.  Didn't she do a good job?
And backing up to reveal a very exciting luggage rack with some posed luggage.

It's the little touches that make a house feel homey.
I love framing Scripture that God has spoken to my heart at pivotal times to remind me of the Truth.


Moving in took a little longer than past moves for various reasons, but when all was settled, I felt a huge relief.  I don't need big and fancy, but I have learned that I value aesthetics, and feeling "settled" and "at home" is comforting to me.

Aaand just to keep things real...

Here is the fan that fell out of the ceiling last week.  Thankfully, it didn't fall further and nobody was standing directly under it.

And here is the frog that came up from the toilet the other day, which naturally begs the question, "What else can come up through the toilet?"  Yikes!

I felt bad for him.
And here is one of the apparent millions of lizards in our yard.
Lizards are everywhere in Florida.
As are cockroaches (perhaps the vilest of God's creatures, second only to rats and possums).
I can't talk about it anymore.


On a brighter side of nature, one of my students brought me an orange from the orange tree in her yard.  I learned from our pastor friend the other day that oranges are sweetest after a cold snap.  Ah, the spiritual analogies...

an apple orange for the teacher!
These dark, grainy pictures are some of the only shots Matt and I have taken together since moving here. I'm including them so you don't forget what we look like;)

We miss you all!  It was nice to have you "over" to our place here.
Looking forward to some of you visiting in person!
Love, Matt and Liane 

5 comments:

  1. You do the BEST job at decorating. I'm still waiting for you to start your independent business "Interiors by Liane". I'd pay you to decorate my home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sara! I put that service to the test...ahh, the peaceful abode. Warmed my heart to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Sara, say more things like that;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The guest room was fantastic during my two stays, so was the service! Love the new shelf Li!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that was a great visit, Liane! I miss you, and I felt like you were right here showing me around. How is the Doctor?

    ReplyDelete