April 20, 2013

A sweet homecoming

Joy.  PURE JOY.  That's how I feel while writing this.

My best friend, Kimber, who I first wrote about in this post, has, over the years, selflessly and genuinely celebrated many of our other friends' baby joys, even though she, herself, suffered the tragic loss of her baby 4 years ago, which she wrote about here.

Her story is one of loss and redemption.  How God makes beauty out of ashes.  And I have so learned by watching her and her husband journey through loss, through worshiping in the midst of loss, through hope, through tears, through trusting in the Lord, through waiting, and waiting, and still more waiting.  My faith has been encouraged by her faith, through her experiences of our Lord's comfort and presence through all that life brings.

She started the adoption process 3 years ago, and now the wait is over!  It's at last her joy that we get to share in!  She brought home her newly adopted baby boy from Ethiopia last week.

I decided to fly to Atlanta to surprise her and join the welcoming committee at the airport.

Sidenote - One of my decision-making filters is this:  "Am I going to look back and be glad that I did that?"  If the answer is "yes", then I go for it.  If it is "no" or "I'm not sure", then I don't do it or am more deliberate in my proceedings.  In this case, the answer was an unquestionable "YES!"

So I wrote my sub plans (you're worth it, Kimber) and boarded an Atlanta-bound plane with a joy-filled heart.

And I am indeed glad that I went.  Here is a taste of that celebratory day:
my childhood friend Tatum, me, and my mom ready with our signs

waiting to meet their new cousin


more friends excited to celebrate

These three were also adopted from Ethiopia by some of Kimber's friends in her wonderful adoption community.  It was precious to see them ready to celebrate another little boy being welcomed home into his forever family.



They were ready with their signs too.






an eager crowd

Going through customs and immigration takes time, so we had to hold onto our excitement and our signs a little while longer.





In the meantime, people mingled...




....the kids played games and ate snacks,

...and apparently made friends with the airport security.

Then, the moment we were waiting for arrived:  they were coming!

Miller, Kimber, and Baby Ryder had gotten their bags and were heading to meet us.

Tatum and I got into position, our anticipation at its peak!  Eeeee!!!



And there they were!

This was our reaction (cheers and clapping).  It was such a JOYOUS moment.

After traveling some 36 hours (or something like that), they looked alert and happy.  It brought tears to my eyes.  I don't think I've ever seen my friend look that happy.


Watching her happily carrying their new son home, amid all the cheers and clapping, Jesus's words came forward in my mind:
"I will not leave you as orphans.  I will come to you." - John 14:18

I love Miss Pam's face here (Kimber's mom,  in the orange)





The cousins swarmed.  They were so excited.


Tears of joy.  I was a mess.

It was so sweet to watch Ryder meet his proud grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins.










This little guy has no idea what a wonderful family he has just become a part of.

Standing off to the side, watching these family pictures being taken, the truth of the Gospel struck me again.  I felt I would burst with the joy of it all.

I thought, "Wow - what a picture of being adopted by God, into His family.  Here is this former orphan who is now a beloved child, with unconditional love lavished on him, not because of anything he did on his own merit.  And everything this family has is now transferred to him.  That's so powerful!"

Here is what Tim Keller says, "The minute you become a Christian, you have intimacy of relationship. You have an unconditional relationship. You become wealthy, because everything that Jesus Christ has accomplished is transferred to you. You become beautiful and spiritually rich in him."



When Kimber, Tatum, and I used to have sleep-overs and play "Mash" in middle school - that silly game to predict how our lives would turn out (who we would marry, how many kids we would have, where we would live, etc.) - we never included suffering in any of the choices.  We didn't know then that there would be suffering.  We also couldn't have imagined the beautiful, redemptive plans God had in store.
























getting sleepy

finally tuckered out from all the traveling and excitement
The celebrations continued when, a couple days later, Kimber's parents hosted a lovely reception.  It was marvelous.  Absolutely marvelous.

 
Aren't these sugar cookies amazing?!
Congratulations, Kimber and Miller!  I am thrilled for you guys and am rejoicing in what God has done!

(pictures courtesy of Vickie Hoffman, Andrea Young, and my mom)

4 comments:

  1. Ryder is such a beautiful child of God. He was chosen by God to be a part of this Christian family. Such a touching story filled with faith and inspiration. Thanks so much for sharing. It fills my heart with gladness!!! Nita Tolar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just cried when I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liane,
    Best post ever on blog. Well, maybe the sibling blog is a tie or a close 2nd. Love this. Brought all those memories of the anticipation at the airport and the welcome party back to life; also, the glorious reception at the Thrashers on Saturday where we reunited with so many friends. Good job.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete