June 9, 2016

Residency, Here We Come!

And just like that, med school's over and we're moving to Michigan!
Did somebody call a doctor?

We're packing it all up and driving north for Matt to begin his residency AND for us to continue what I have come to affectionately call:
My sweet friend Paulina made this for me!


Matt was gone for 5 months, July through November, traveling around for his orthopedic rotations, checking out different residency programs.

After that experience, he told me he really liked the residents in Michigan and was impressed with their skills.

I've always told Matt I think I could live anywhere.

Michigan though.  Thaat took a little convincing.

Florida has spoiled me with its 70-degree snowless winters and its nearby beaches.  Its shaved-ice stands and its tropical foliage.  Sure, my hair doesn't look great in humidity and the occasional roach sighting gives me a mild heart attack, but those are small prices to pay for paradise.  And we actually found an affordable place with a pool in the backyard.  A pool! I never thought I'd have a pool.  But there it is, shining and glistening in the sun in all its Florida glory, beckoning me to cannonball into it.  And cannonball I shall. Multiple more times before we must leave it.  Sigh.  (A moment of silence feels appropriate here).

Then God, in only the way that He can, gently and lovingly and uniquely reconfirmed the move to Michigan (which I will share about in another post), and any objection I had fell to the ground.


For those who care about the details, here are the answers to common questions I have received:


What is your timeline again?
  • 4 years med school (Check!)
  • 5 years residency (Here we go!)
  • 1 year fellowship (Not on my radar yet)

When is Matt actually a doctor?
On May 7th, Matt graduated from med school and officially became Dr. Jackson!

What is residency?
Residency comes after med school and is in-depth medical training in one specific branch of medicine (ie. neurology or emergency medicine or pediatrics, etc.).  Every fourth year med student applies to various residency programs around the country and awaits "The Match" - that fateful day when you're told what residency program you "matched" to and where you will live for the next several years.

I thought you were in residency now.  Why did you move to Florida?

We moved to Florida for Matt to finish his last two years of med school - otherwise known as "rotations". Many people stay in one place all 4 years of med school.  Some get matched to do rotations in other cities the last two years, like us.

How long is residency?
The amount of years in residency depends on the specialty you go into (anywhere from 3 years to 7 years).

What is Matt's specialty?
Orthopedic surgery

How long will his residency be?
5 years

Where and when are you moving for residency?
We're moving this month to a suburb of Detroit called Royal Oak, Michigan.

Will you still be teaching?
Yes.

How do you feel about Michigan?
The first words that honestly come to my mind about Detroit are:  cold, cars, Eminem, and Kid Rock (in that order).  None of which I'm a huge fan of.  I told Matt I was looking forward to gathering new and better connotations about the area.  

I am sad about leaving my school, the friends we've made, and the warm sunshine of Florida.  But I am genuinely excited to follow our Good Shepherd to another place He has chosen for us. We'll have yet more new stories to tell about His faithfulness.  More interesting people to encounter.  More adventure to be had. I'm making a little list of nearby places I want to visit while we're there:  Niagara Falls, Toronto,...(thinking)...I guess that's it so far.  But those two are a good start.  Those places aren't actually in Michigan, but they're a short drive, so they made the list.  Feel free to make suggestions!

Overall, I feel excited about the next chapter and am just massively proud of Matt.

Residency, here we come!

10 comments:

  1. Wow! More great adventures for you two. Our son and daughter-in-law just moved to Michigan and we will be heading up to see them in late July. They are in Lake City and work at YL's Timber Wolf Lodge. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We may do a trip to Niagara Falls the first week in August when we're visiting my family. Let's meet up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add Chicago to your list ;) so we can meet half way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Catherine! How could I forget! So excited to see you!

      Delete
  4. LIANE! First of all, been wayyyyy too long since we've chatted. Can we do that soon!? Ok, great:)
    But, second, did you know my mom and brother were born in Royal Oak? And my parents grew up there, and stayed until after my brother was born, then moved away. I am sure a ton has changed, but I still have family very nearby! What a small world. Would love to chat soon!! Congrats to you and Matt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Who is this? :)

      Delete
    2. hahahaha, how weird does that sound with no name? i have never commented on a blog before, so clearly I didn't know how! This is Cassie Hamiter!

      Delete
    3. Aw, HEY Cassie!!! So good to hear from you, old friend!

      Delete