November 8, 2013

Leaf Peeping and Art Crawling

My mom visited last week.

Here are some of our highlights:

She shadowed me for a day at work.  In my ten years of teaching, she's never seen what I do.  So it was a treat to have her with me in the classroom all day.  During a few funny student comments, we met eyes and smiled.

Later, we went to Weston (a historic town north of us) to go "leaf peeping", which I thought sounded inappropriate.  Apparently that's the official term for looking at pretty leaves though.
peeping
We of course had to take her to the Nelson Atkins Museum.  It's free.  It's interesting.
Nelson Atkins Museum
On the steps of Nelson Atkins, looking out
On the grounds of Nelson Atkins
















We popped in and out of some art galleries in the Crossroads District.  "First Fridays" is a monthly art crawl that takes place on the first Friday of every month here in KC.

We stood for a little while trying to figure out this piece.  Hmmm...
Sorry (again) for the blurriness.  I'm just not a great photographer.  It's hit and miss.








For some reason, we got a case of the giggles when Mom and I took turns standing behind this sculpture. The pricetag on it was something like $40,000.  I don't understand.
teeheehee
We gasped when we saw that these heads, by the same artist, were $90,000.  Wow.  And really?  I mean, I can see maybe $80,000, but 90? ;)


Thanks for visiting, Ma!  We loved having you.

Love, Matt and Liane

No comments:

Post a Comment