October 14, 2012

Do I have that?

Matt will admit that he has a tendency towards hypochondria.  Med school does not help this.


When Matt reads about horrific diseases
that involve symptoms he has

Could that lingering cough he's had actually be histoplasmosis? (What's this?  Well it's a fungal lung infection endemic to river valley areas, much like the one we live in near the Missouri River).

The knot in his back, a rhabdomyosarcoma (skeletal muscle tumor) perhaps?

Ecclesiastes 1:18 - "...the more knowledge, the more grief."

I am not against health and preventative care and am all for being proactive in paying attention to our bodies and stewarding them well.  And I have known friends and family who have gone through real and painful diseases.  So please hear that I am not mocking the reality that our bodies are passing away and that there is often much grief involved.


That said, I choose to avoid regularly diagnosing myself.  (Emphasis on the word regularly.  As my past roommate Sara can attest, I was once convinced that I had torn the meniscus in my knee.  I may or may not have gotten melodramatic about it.  I initially thought it was a blood clot that would travel to my heart and burst.  I lay in bed, clutching my knee in tearful pain, ready to meet my Maker.  I even told Him how excited I was to be moments away from seeing Him face and face.  But alas, I fell asleep and woke up the next morning still on Earth.  It turned out to be tendonitis.  I told the doctor that he might want to check again.  It was tendonitis.)

The goal around our home now is 1) don't be lazy in taking care of yourself and 2) don't freak out.  Sometimes we are lazy and sometimes we freak out.  The goal remains.

God's word forever remains and has helped us:

"For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." - II Timothy 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment