February 28, 2013

On snowflakes

In light of our recent "Snowmageddon" here in Kansas City,

I want to introduce a couple of lovely books that have graced my 2nd grade classroom this month.

Wilson "Snowflake" Bentley was born in Vermont in 1865.  As a child, he was in awe of the beauty of snow and eventually (after many failed attempts) became the first person to successfully photograph a snowflake, discovering that no two snowflakes are alike.
Perseverant Willie doin his thing
Snowflake Bentley was written by Jacqueline Briggs Martin and illustrated by Mary Azarian in 1998.  I highly recommend this book for cozying up with your child on a wintery day.  It's one of my favorites.
Caldecott Medal winner in 1999 for best illustrations
As luck would have it, a few years ago, while perusing the clearance table at Barnes and Noble, I happened upon this little treasure:  


Great coffee table book


The photographer of the snowflakes in this book writes about how she was inspired by Wilson Bentley's snowflake photographs and set out herself to capture some of these beautiful images:

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. - Psalm 19:1

This is the God I serve.  The God who creates intricate beauty that we do not fully know.  Intricate beauty for his delight and glory.

I believe that everything He made - all the seasons, all of nature, all of it, everything - points to Him.  Not only as Creator of it all.  But I think He provided us with analogies in nature to understand Him and His plan better.  These images taken in the dead of winter remind me that He makes beauty in the midst of death.  Beauty and wonder in death of self (when by His power, I set aside my selfishness, pride, self-seeking agendas,...).  Beauty and wonder in the sacrificial death of His Son.

My mind turns to other awesome works of His.  The most significant, I think, being that He transforms hearts.

He has lately turned my self-pitying heart into a heart that wants to praise Him.  He has turned me from focusing on what I want to focusing on what I have in Him presently.  I feel joyful and at peace, but no circumstances have changed.  How great He is! 

No comments:

Post a Comment