March 2, 2013

At the Symphony

Matt and I have wanted to go see something at the Kauffman Center ever since we moved to Kansas City and were made aware of its existence.
source
Kauffman Center, performance home of the Kansas City Ballet, Symphony, and Opera 












Looks-wise, it reminds me of that other little opera house located in the southern hemisphere.

Here's another angle.  Love the architecture.
source











Inside one of the halls:
source
source
I casually mentioned once to some friends my desire to go there.

What a treat when my friend Liz GAVE us free tickets to see a symphony there last night, complete with parking pass!

Thank you, Liz!
gettin our culture on











I really enjoyed the view of the city out the big windows.























There was a virtuoso classical pianist there named Peng-Peng Gong.  He was like a modern day Mozart.  Phenomenal.

Our seats were situated perfectly behind him as he played, so that we could see his fingers hit every note.  Well, kind of see his fingers.  They were moving so fast, they looked more like a blur.  And he didn't miss a note!  No sheet music either.  Just played by ear, from memory, for about 30 minutes.

I regret not getting my own picture of him playing.  But photography was prohibited.  By the time I worked up the courage to break that rule (with my flash off), he was done and the piano had been wheeled offstage.  Shucks.

Better yet, here's a taste of his talents I found on youtube. 

Here are some pictures that I did get last night of the experience through our eyes.









"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul."
- Johann Sebastian Bach


I love this quote.

If I'm honest, then I admit that we listened to Pearl Jam on the way home.

But nonetheless, last night's music of Tchaikovsky and Beethoven sticks with me.  I did feel refreshed.  There's nothing like hearing it live and watching it performed by a group of professionals.

Bravo!, China National Symphony Orchestra.  Bravo!

No comments:

Post a Comment