April 2, 2013

Turning 31

Welp, I'm 31 today.

31 times I've traveled round the sun.

I'm studying the solar system with my 2nd graders right now and am amazed at how small the sun is when compared to other stars in our galaxy.

Here are some scale models that I've been trying to wrap my brain around.





Try finding the sun in this next one.  Whaaaaaa???

With this context, I further marvel at how small Earth is when compared to the sun.

And then how small I am on that Earth.

A speck.  A tiny, little speck.

That The God of the Universe cares at all to have a relationship with this tiny speck boggles my mind.

I think of David's words again in Psalm 144:3 - "Lord what are mortals that you should notice us? Mere humans that you should care for us?" 

Times when I'm tempted to look through haughty eyes or to think of myself higher than I ought, God, in His gentle but very clear way with me, brings back to my mind's eye these pictures of the galaxy and my place in it.
Milky Way Galaxy














I learned recently that there are billions of galaxies.  Billions!  My brain hurts trying to comprehend that.

Looking at these pictures, I gain a much better idea of why God responded to Job the way He did:


“Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?
 Tell me, if you understand..." Job 38:4

I look down at my arms and my fingers.  I look in the mirror and see my face and my hair.  And I know it's all going to turn to dust.

And I think, "Who am I to question God or challenge His ways?  Who am I to ever complain or not receive with humble obedience His plans for my life, whatever they may be, even if there be bitter cups He may have me drink?"  And I ask for forgiveness again from Him because sometimes I do complain.  And sometimes I am proud.

And that Jesus would allow me to know Him bout makes my heart leap out of my chest.

I praise You, God, for your greatness!  And Your all-knowing sovereignty!  Thank You for this life, God!  Thank You for Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment