April 15, 2013

My big brother

Today is National Siblings Day.  I didn't know this holiday existed until recently.  There's a holiday nowadays for everything it seems.  Who's in charge of making these up, anyway?


I'll play along.  Happy Siblings Day, Matt!  (Important clarification:  Matt is the name of both my husband and my brother.  Different people.)
my big brother Matt
I've always looked up to him.  Because he's taller than me.  And because I thought he was cool.

Today, I have such hope for squirmy, impulsive boys in my class because my brother was a squirmy, impulsive boy, and he turned out okay.

Now, he's a compelling teacher and leader, a good husband to his wife, and a loving daddy to his kids.  He's passionate about Jesus.  Through him, God has started a ministry in Atlanta to share the Gospel with the many diverse people in the city (young professionals, college kids, internationals, refugees, urban kids...).  It's so exciting to see what God is doing there and to see Matt in his "element".  Matt's a born leader.  According to his Myer's Briggs personality test, he "cannot not lead."  We have such different gifts. The idea of directing a city ministry makes me break out in a sweat.  And yet, I appreciate that he is humble about his mistakes, and I have never seen him act overly important in his role.  He is perhaps the most persuasive person I know too.  People joke with me how he convinced all these people to leave their states and their current jobs to move to Atlanta to join him in launching the Atlanta ministry.  Now he has a thriving team there making Christ known in Atlanta.  It's awesome.  Click here to learn more about the Atlanta ministry.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Now, won't you join me on a walk down Memory Lane...



This next segment is entitled "I remember"

Matt,

I remember when you were obsessed with Star Wars and faithfully wore the same Santa hat every Christmas.

I remember that time when you tried to hatch an egg in the microwave (even though, I, being 3 years younger, told you I didn't think it worked that way).

I remember as a little girl sitting on your bedroom floor looking through baseball cards with you.  I didn't care about the baseball cards; I just liked spending time with you.

Then I remember that time when you bought me a pack of baseball cards for my birthday because you knew I would, in turn, let you have them.  So the next year on my birthday, when you pulled the same trick, I wised up and decided to keep the pack of baseball cards for myself.  I remember that you were jealous because that pack ended up having some really good cards in it.  (and dad laughed)

I remember when you would playfully swing your baseball bat at my face, then stop when it was inches away because you thought that was good fun.  You were mistaken.

I remember how you used to lay on your back with your knees bent and feet in the air, then catapult me from one couch to the other.  That was good fun.
I remember when you were convinced that Mom was surely an alcoholic when we found her cooking wine in the cabinet.


I remember how you taught me to make tooting noises with my armpit.


I remember spending a lot of time on the little league baseball park playground with all the other little sisters.


I remember deciding together to spend part of our one-hour of allowed television time a day on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.  It was a good choice.

"iiiiin WEST Philadelphia, born and raised..."

I remember observing you being kind and enthusiastically friendly to a so-called nerd when we were older.
awwk-ward

I remember how I watched your identity in college change from being in sports to being more fully in Jesus and the impact that had on me.


I remember how you officiated my wedding and talked about servant love and how Jesus modeled this for us and that we can only accomplish it through Him.

I remember how afterwards you danced part of John Travolta's Saturday Night Fever dance at the reception.
________________________________________________________________________

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have had sisters.  I probably would have had more fashion choices but would not have known who Jose Canseco was.  Life's a tradeoff.

I really am grateful to have grown up with you, Matt, and am glad to call you brother and friend.

Happy National Siblings Day!

3 comments:

  1. Gotta say I love the matching Big Wheels! I still have mine from when I was a kid (almost identical to your brother's) and now it's been passed down to my 4-year-old nephew. Maybe he'll ride it as many miles as I did. Also, that rock fireplace is just like the one in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I must have thought his dance moves were amazing from the look on my face in that photo.

    ReplyDelete