January 24, 2013

A time to weep, a time to laugh


I don't claim to be a great and learned theologian, and I suspect that we are all at least incomplete in our understanding of God and ourselves, since He says we only know in part here, but will know in full and will see everything clearly when He returns.

"Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity.  All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely."
I Corinthians 13:12

With that, I believe God not only allows sadness but may even cause it at times - but not out of cruelty, out of his goodness because there are sweet things to be had through it.  A depth of comfort unknown before.  A realization of certain truths that penetrate the heart in new ways.

Matt hates to see me unhappy or sad.  I told him the other day though that I think the Lord has some sweet things for me to experience in Him as I walk through sadness, and that I'm not altogether uneager to go through it if I can experience my Lord in new ways.  I told him that he doesn't have to feel bad about my sadness or try to fix it but can, with hope and good conscience, release me to it.


I can't be sad all the time though.  I just don't have that kind of stamina.  And I appreciate that the Lord, in his goodness, also gives times of joy and laughter.

The other day, I caught Matt reciting names of blood diseases in a thick southern accent.

Aaa...I love that man.

He continues to make me laugh and show me patience and love.

Yesterday, we joyfully celebrated his 32nd birthday with some Thai food, homemade brownies, and Men In Black III (quite the surprise ending, if I do say so myself!)
Happy Birthday, my love!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this picture of you and Matt!!!!! (and your adorable shirt too!! :)

    ReplyDelete