January 26, 2013

Taking care of myself

Right before Matt and I moved to KC, I scheduled a lunch date with a couple of doctors' wives I knew.  I wanted to hear their stories, ask them questions and take notes on lessons they learned along their journey, and gather tips they may have for me on practical ways I could support my husband during the crazy decade-ish long ride that is med school and residency.

I came home from that lunch with lots of scribbled notes of practical ideas on how I could serve Matt and ways I could be a good wife...  I will never forget my friend Sara's response when I was excitedly sharing some of those ideas with her:

"That's great, Li.  Have you thought of any ways to take care of yourself during med school?"

Huh.

Nope.  I hadn't.

Was I allowed to?

And thus began a little brainstorming session with Sara that night about a few simple things I might be able to do to take care of myself - take a bath, make a treat, call a friend, do something out of the ordinary...

I recently had an extra day off work, making for a long weekend.  Matt had a midterm to study for and was unavailable for playing.  What to do...what to do...


I am pleased to report that I decided to hop into my car and drive the 9 hours across the thrilling state of Kansas to go visit some friends in Colorado.  It was a good decision - good for my heart.

(Please forgive me if you're a CO friend, and I didn't see you during my short visit.  There were certainly others I would have loved to get time with had the visit been longer.)

The drive wasn't so bad.  I had lots of time to think and reflect.  And the timeless music of Billy Joel kept me company.  And as I passed field upon field of wheat, I felt thankful for all the things I can enjoy because of that wheat:  muffins, banana bread, toast, oh the possibilities!

But I was very grateful to arrive


and finally see this sweet friend and meet this little bundle of preciousness.


Sara and Baby Grace
And look who was happy to greet me with a bag of "treats for Li Li"
Sam!

You can imagine my surprise and delight when I opened the bag of treats and found that Sara had picked out personal things that she knew I would love...just...because.  It's not my birthday (though it was hers a couple weeks ago), not Christmas, and I'm not the one who just had a baby!
Sara's treats waiting for me.  Totally unexpected.  I felt so known.  and loved.
She even got us matching pajama pants.  It's the little things in life. :)


celebrating Sara's birthday
I also got to visit with these dear friends during my short stay.  My heart felt so full!
Kelley
Marty
Kristi
Becky
Caitlin and Jack Shephard bobblehead

I am so glad that I just did it.  Got in the car and drove.  It was well worth it to see these friends again.

One thing I have enjoyed about moving around the country is gaining friends to go back and visit.

Thanks, Sa, for challenging me to take care of myself in practical ways.



Speaking of taking care of myself, I stumbled across this book a few weeks ago and have enjoyed reading it.  Here's a little blurb about it:

Every wife of a doctor needs help navigating the unique path of life in a medical marriage. Using the poetry and wisdom of Psalm 19 as an outline, Debby Read has written Prescription for the Doctor’s Wife with openness and honesty about the joys and challenges of being married to a physician. With a tender, humble heart Debby shares her life, encourages the reader with Biblical Truth, and gives practical advice to help women who have the special calling of being a doctor’s wife. 


So for you fellow med school wives out there, this might be for you!

It has been good for my soul to camp out in Psalm 19 lately.

I have experienced that Christ alone is where my satisfaction lies and have learned that spending time listening to him is the best way to take care of myself, or rather experience Him taking care of me.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Li, this encourages me to take care of myself and trust His care too!! Sooooo glad you got to be in sweet Colorado with dear friends!!That makes ME smile too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I almost got you the book Sara got you! But the teacher book won out. Glad I saw...because it was probably going to be your bday book. :)) I'll be curious and excited to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yayayayayaaaaaaaaaaay! Sara is so great. A treat bag? I want to be like her when I grow up. I'm glad you got to treat yourself to a CO trip :)

    ReplyDelete