January 24, 2013

New Year's highs and lows

Let's rewind back a few weeks, shall we?

This is how we started the new year.
Rest in peace, Mr. Fish-We-Never-Named

He bionically survived a week without food while we were out of town, then - in an ironic twist of fate - died when I changed his water.

A tragic tale.

Fortunately, this was ALSO how I rang in the New Year:  Christin and Aimee visited!
Aimee and Christin toasting the New Year in KC!
All you need to know about Aimee is that she can hunt elk, could be considered an Organizational Leadership guru, is so even and easy to be with, and is just all-around fantastic.

Christin took me under her wing 12 years ago in college and taught me how to study the Bible.  She was the first person close to my age who modeled to me what intimacy with the Lord really looks like and how to give your life away.  I consider her one of my dearest friends today and am forever grateful for her influence in my life.

Here we are tootling around the Plaaazahaving just seen Les Miserable (hence the shameless Kleenex box).
me, Christin, and Aimee paintin' the town red






Then, naturally, we had to go somewhere special to analyze the movie and discuss the characters' different responses to grace and the effects of that.  and Russell Crowe's lacking singing voice.  He tried.
 
It would have been a crime not to let them sample from some of Kansas City's finest BBQ establishments.

So, I took it upon myself to introduce them to a couple of local favorites.

Here we are at Gates BBQ getting acquainted with Ms. Williams.  Sweet lady that Ms. Williams.
And we bumped into Mr. Gates himself!  He was such a kind man, chatting with us for longer than he was probably interested, and even hopping right up to take a picture with us.  He had a Bill Cosby-ish vibe with his warm sweater and even warmer smile. :)
Mr. Gates, son of the restaurant's founder


Nonetheless, Oklahoma Joe's remains my personal favorite.
and happens to be, according to Anthony Bourdain, one of the Top 13 Places to Eat Before You Die
and also happens to be in a gas station, which I think strangely adds to the appeal.  I'm not alone in this - the line is always long (out-the-door long).

See those trophies in the back?  Those are barbecue competition trophies.
full and happy

I am so glad that Christin and Aimee came to visit me.  It was the perfect start to 2013.  You gals are welcomed here any time!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Li, FULL and HAPPY...are the perfect words to describe how I felt leaving KC. What a wonderful, wonderful visit. It was sooo good to see and be with you and also be introduced to your new town. I already know I will read this post more than once as it makes me smile and re-live the moments. You told the stories so well!! Already looking forward to my next visit!

    ReplyDelete