March 21, 2013

My delusions of grandeur, and a Savior who is grand

As a kid, like many kids, I had delusions of grandeur.

Ah, to be really great at something.

I picked up the electric guitar in middle school because I wanted to be a girl who could shred.  Maybe like this:


You have to admit, that's pretty cool.

I took lessons from a gentle, long-haired man who loved classic rock and taught me Purple Haze and some Stevie Ray Vaughan licks.  I never quite reached Orianthi's skill level.  Even today, that's about all I remember on the guitar, which makes it appear that I know more about the instrument than I actually do.
me, in 8th grade
Oh, I used to imagine what it would be like to win a gold medal in the Olympics!
A poster of Janet Evans adorned my bedroom wall
above my  proud display of swim team ribbons
Once upon a time, I was speedy, agile, and fairly athletic.

The Presidential Fitness Test in P.E.? - all. over. it.

I reveled in trying to beat some of the boys.  "Bring on the shuttle run," I'd say to myself.
Remember this?
And then I turned 13, and just like that (sigh), my glory years were behind me.

While I still played sports through high school, I experienced minimal success, having more heart than actual skill.  I played mediocrely on a mediocre basketball team.  And in track and cross-country, knowing I wouldn't come in first place, I set my sights on the lofty goal of just not being last.  I was content in the middle of the pack.  First place ribbons in swimming became increasingly rare.

Nonetheless, I still enjoyed the camaraderie of being on a team, working towards a common goal.  And I loved the challenge and the physical activity.  Coaches didn't mind me because I had a positive attitude.  But grandeur was not to be had.  I was so....AVERAGE.  Maybe I didn't work hard enough during the off seasons or maybe I just wasn't blessed with the amount of natural ability I would have liked.  Probably both.

Nonetheless, I tend to think that God protected me from myself, knowing that my pride couldn't handle any more than a modest amount of success, success that nobody cares about or will remember.

I always marveled at other kids who did experience greater successes and didn't seem to get bigheaded about it.  I imagine that, as a teenager, to be a bigger success in itself.

While I think on excellence and diligence and hard work and honed skill  - all good things that can bring God glory and that shouldn't be set aside for wishful thinking, I also think on the fact that no matter how great or not great I am considered in this world, my soul is helpless and damned without Jesus, my Savior and Redeemer.

How I depend on His strength and righteousness, because I have none of my own.

Over time, I have grown/am growing/hope to continue to grow into seeing myself less and less as an aspiring great person and more and more as a dependent person on Jesus.

To focus on who Jesus is for me, instead of who I am for Him.  This thinking transforms me and interestingly gives me great joy.

John the Baptist's words spring up in my mind:

"He must become greater and greater and I must become less and less."                                                                                                                 - John 3:30

And then I think on this story below (perhaps you know it) of a father and his son completing the Iron Man Triathlon together, after the son asked his dad if they could race it.  The race consists of 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bike ride, topped off by a 26.2-mile run (a marathon).  The son has cerebral palsy.

"For in Him, we live and move and have our being." - Acts 17:28

I love watching this video each Easter or the days leading up to it and reflecting on my Savior's true grandeur and what it was that HE did and does.

No comments:

Post a Comment