August 24, 2013

A med school wedding


Earlier this summer, I traveled for the first time to the great state of Minnesota for the wedding of two of our dear med school friends - Paul and Aubree.

They're in Matt's class.  That's right, they're BOTH in med school.  WHILE they were planning a wedding in another state.  I think that's pretty amazing.

When we met them, we instantly connected.  So easy.  So natural.  I think our first double-date, we talked about everything from the beer we like, to how we handle social anxiety, to how we came to know Jesus.

I went to the wedding with my friend Catherine, fellow med-school wife.

Her husband is one year ahead of Matt, Paul, and Aubree and was studying for his boards (the BIG test taken after your 2nd yr.).

Matt was in the middle of a clerkship (that I wrote about here).

So, Catherine and I road tripped it together, just us girls.

Road trips have a way of taking you months down the road relationally, and Catherine and I were never want for conversation.  I enjoyed it very much, and, since then, Catherine has become a treasured friend.


We stayed the weekend and had some time to kill before the wedding, so Catherine gave me a little tour of Minneapolis, her hometown.  I was delightfully surprised by how beautiful it is.  My only previous notions of Minnesota were from that movie "New in Town" with Renee Zellweger.

We walked and talked on this path...
And quietly admired this lake...

And posed in front of this sculpture...




















Then we headed to this wedding...
Isn't that a cool looking place?

The wedding was originally going to be outside, but due to afternoon torrential rains, it was changed to inside at the reception site.  What I loved was Aubree's go-with-the-flow attitude (even though I'm sure, of course, she was disappointed.  Who wouldn't be?). There was seemingly no drama or pouting.  She made the best of it.  And the wedding was lovely.  God-honoring and just beautiful.
yay!
And don't you just love her classy and earthy decorations?
Paul and Aubree
me, Aubree, and Catherine
After hearing some of the most hilarious and heartwarming family member speeches we had both ever heard at a wedding reception, Catherine and I decided that we would like to be honorary members of their families.

Also, as providence would have it, Catherine and I ended up sitting next to one of the most encouraging couples we have both ever met.

The husband was a fairly new doctor, so they understood the road we were on.  The wife was delightfully positive and genuinely full of joy as she shared with us about their med school journey, having kids, and embracing the seasons of it all.  I could see the joy of the Lord in her face.

We were so blessed by them.

Catherine and I discovered that we both enjoy talking with strangers AND cutting a rug on the dance floor, so we were two peas in a pod at this wedding where we knew no one but the bride and groom.

I warned Catherine that I'm all elbows when I dance.  We made good fun of it.
arms a'flailin'


So, to end, Congratulations, Paul and Aubree!  And forgive me, Minnesota, for misjudging you.  I love your summertime and your lakes and your walking paths and clean city.




1 comment: