September 12, 2013

School Days: Mummifying a chicken in 2nd grade


In honor of school being back in full swing, here's a little "School Days" post from last year that I forgot to publish.  Enjoy.
_______________________________________________________________________
We are currently studying Ancient Egypt in 2nd grade.  What a fascinating time period.
After reading in depth about the mummification process, we are now in the process of mummifying a chicken.  You read that right.  We are mummifying a chicken.

Shocking maybe, but this is actually my very first chicken mummifying experience.  Where have I been?!

The whole process, I read, takes 6 weeks.  We are on week 2.

As we were handling the chicken with latex gloves, I just kept thinking, "Please don't cause a salmonella outbreak, please don't cause a salmonella outbreak,..."

Here is said chicken, after being packed in "natron" (salt mixure in zip lock bag), then oiled and wrapped by my students.
Mmmm


It is an involved process.  Perhaps a little too involved.  But too late now!  We're 2 weeks in, and the children love it, so there's no going back!

Ancient Egyptians removed a mummy's organs and preserved them in canopic jars like these:
source

I looked online to see if I could purchase some imitation jars on the cheap but was unsuccessful, so I decided to make some.

Materials:
- Air-dry clay
- Empty pint sized ice cream containers
- Pencil (or any sharp stylus-like tool)


Step 1. Secure clay to lids.


Step 2. Pile clay atop, smooth, and form heads of Ancient Egyptian gods.



Step 3. Use sharp pencil to add details.


The one that I'm detailing here is supposed to be a baboon, but I think it looks more like E.T.



Step 4. Let air dry for 1-2 days.

Step 5. Paint with acrylic paints if desired.  (I didn't)


Step 6. Wrap construction paper around containers.
(pic to come)

Step 7. Remove chicken's organs, wrap individually, and place inside jars.

Then, after the interesting demonstration, when the children are at P.E., promptly remove the organs from the jars and throw them in the trashcan, because you don't want your classroom to stink.

In case you have been ceaselessly wondering how to mummify a chicken (I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it explodes all over Pinterest), I found the instructions from The Story of the World accompanying Activity Book (my favorite history curriculum).


_________________________________________________________________________________
We ended our study with an "Ancient Egyptian Day" where we enjoyed a feast (mmm...hummus...) and the students presented their final projects. They did a great job.

Coincidentally, fourth grade was having their "Medieval Day" (or was it Renaissance Day?) at the same time.
Fourth grade teacher and our fearless Elementary Coordinator, Sara.
Love this girl.
My personal scripture reading today was Colossians 1.  And in it I read,

"Epaphras, our much loved co-worker, was the one who brought you the Good News.  He is Christ's faithful servant, and he is helping us..."     - Colossians 1:7

Epaphras.  Not a name that rings a bell for me.  I've read Colossians before, but I must have read over his name quickly and forgotten about him.  That happens all the time for me.

Too bad I never gave much thought to him before, because he sounded like a great guy, a "much loved co-worker" it says.  A "faithful servant" who "helps."

I imagine him to be a team-player, likable, and effective at his job.

Have I mentioned that I love the people I work with?  It's no secret here that our building needs some fixin up, but the PEOPLE, I must say, are fantastic.  They are faithful servants. And very helpful.  Warm, professional, gracious, competent, and smart.
My much-loved co-workers.
* a few people are not represented in this picture
I know it would be much cuter and more interesting to see pictures of the children, but I hesitate to post pictures of children without asking for parental consent.  So, in lieu of them, you'll have to bear with pictures of us teachers.  Thrilling, I know.  Maybe in the future, I'll post some face-censored shots of my students.


I look forward to sharing more "School Days" posts!

And best wishes to all my fellow teacher friends out there as you begin a new school year!

Tangent Story on the phrase "Best Wishes"
Matt recently overheard me genuinely but awkwardly tell our moving-out neighbor (who we had met only once or twice in passing), "Well...Best Wishes on your new place!" to which the guy flatly responded, "...uh,...thhhanks."

I don't know why I said it.  But I felt like I needed to say something as I saw him moving his stuff out of his apartment.  And "Best wishes on your new place!" came out.

Why I'm sharing this with you?  I blame it on the pressure and desensitization effect of social media.

Matt said it was one of the most awkward, hilarious things he had heard me say.  We're still laughing about it and sometimes will call out from another room to each other, "Best wishes on your new place!" 

Ahhh, we love to laugh at ourselves.  Are we the only ones that find this funny?

3 comments:

  1. I like the "it looks more like E.T. comment. LOL
    And the "best wishes on your new place" is a gem. So sad that we don't know our neighbors enough to engage in more conversation than "best wishes on your new place." But, that was funny to read. I'm still smiling about that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      Thanks for leaving a comment. May I ask who this is? Do I know you? Is that you, mom?

      Delete
  2. The E.T. comment made me LOL. You did a good job, and for the record it doesn't look like E.T. Btw, I always seem to embarrass myself with random comments to people, too. That guy probably just wasn't used to people being so joyful. Have a blessed year! We were honored to have you for 2nd grade.

    ReplyDelete