October 10, 2013

Because you're dying to know about my updated dining room and burlap wreath

When I first envisioned words on my dining room wall, I pictured something close to this size:
source














I wanted a different font and different words, but something that took up a good chunk of space, and looked like it was supposed to be there.

But I had a hard time finding words that scale that I could afford, so I settled for a smaller font.

After I painstakingly measured and centered the words on the wall with my fellow decor-loving mother-in-law who was visiting from out of town, stood back and saw a very well-centered and inspiring quote...that looked very small and alone on my wall.

Shucks.

I considered putting a big, empty frame around it, but that didn't "click" with me for some reason.

So I purchased a border that looked like it would add a touch of elegance and provide a "place" for the seemingly floating small words on the big wall.

It came in the mail, and I noticed right away that it was much thicker than I anticipated.  Like, the lines were thick.  Not elegant.  Bulky.

"Hm, maybe it will look better when I put it up on the wall."

I set to work measuring and putting up the border optimistically.

When all was done, I stood back to admire my work.

Crooked.  The border was clearly CROOKED, lopsidedly higher on the left.  I think I might have heard it laughing at me ever so faintly.

It's hard to tell in this picture, but trust me, the border was crooked. 
And a bit bulky, yes?
I thought the whole thing looked a bit emblem-y and didn't love it.  But it remained in this state for several weeks, until I decided to peel off the outermost border, thinking that would help.

Meh.

The problem remained that I still needed something to flank the sides.  I imagined candle sconces, plates, sprigs of fake flowers or greenery, a frame gallery,... all sorts of things.  But, nothing that I was sold on.

Truth be told: sometimes I deliberate over small, insignificant decisions.  Does anybody else do this?

For months, the wall stayed incomplete as I stayed indecisive.  And every time I walked by that wall, I felt a twinge of annoyance (even though, of course, the truth of the quote remained uplifting).

And then, one day, I was in Target (the land where dreams come true) and happened upon some faux willow branches which called my name.  They were understated and natural-looking and did not appear tackily fake.  Perfect.

The vision for my dining room wall finally became clear.

Thank you to my 2nd grade class for the Target gift card!  I was waiting to use it until just the right moment.

I got home and fished out from under my bed some sconces I've had since college.  Sconces that I wasn't sure where to put in our new place.

Here's the finished look with the branches.  The words are still a tad small-looking, I admit, but I'm pleased.  I no longer feel that twinge of annoyance.



Next project.

My next door neighbor had a burlap wreath on her front door that I had been admiring. When she told me that she made it and shared with me how easy it was, I headed to JoAnn to get myself a wire wreath frame and some burlap.  Like this:
source
source

I wove the burlap in and out of the wire wreath frame like she said, pulling and scrunching and separating the loops.

At first, it looked like nothing was going to come of it.

Am I doing this right?, I thought, as I periodically glanced up at the PBS special on the Rajneesh movement in the 70s.  Bizarre cult.

Then,...slowly but surely,...it started to take shape.

And eventually, I had myself a wreath!

Behold.




















I like it from every angle and think it completes the room. 

The letter-block pillow was a Christmas gift made from a mom of one of my students last year.  I love it.

Speaking of crafty gifts, another mom of a past student of mine gave me a cute, homemade wreath of her own.  She has her own wreath-making business.  To see her full collection, you can check it out here.

My taste, I am discovering, is traditional meets cottage-y meets pinterest-y.  I really do want my home whether it's big or small, fancy or not, to be welcoming and cozy.  Like an updated twist on a Hobbit hole.

"There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort." - Jane Austen

Or (a quote I can equally appreciate),

"Decorate your home.  It gives the illusion that your life is more interesting than it really is." - Charles Schulz 

No comments:

Post a Comment