October 5, 2013

Behind the technology curve

I admit that I'm a little behind my generation when it comes to technology.

Multiple remote controls give me a headache.

Now in some ways, I feel quite proficient and speedy.  I finally own my very own Iphone (and am comfortable with it!), I know how to use dropbox, I can type well, copy and paste with (not to brag) pretty amazing speed, and maneuver my way around various programs for professional and personal use.

However, there are some things that escape me.  Actually, it's not that I can't understand them; it's just that I haven't gotten around to learning some things.  I'm a little lazy with learning things that I don't need to know, until I care to.  And sometimes I don't care for a long time.

But then I get a little embarrassed when my sudden desire to know springs up and makes me look the archaic fool.

Take today, for instance.

We're in our cozy living room, me grading, him studying.  A regular, quiet Saturday.  Boring, perhaps, to some.  But I felt content.

Me - Do you mind if I turn on the radio? (walking towards the armoire which houses our stereo, which I still call the "boom box") 

Him - The radio?  Liane, we have the internet where you can listen to anything you want at anytime.

Me - Oh, okay, let's do that....(long pause)...How do I do that again?

Him - (smiles and hangs his shaking head, then looks up, still smiling) Liane! You're stuck in the nineties!  The radio.  Want to listen to some UB40 and Ace of Base while you're at it?

No, no I do not.

I just want to turn on my boom box.

No comments:

Post a Comment