September 3, 2012

Farewell dear Colorado

When people here started to ask where I'm from, I had to pause and think - because originally I'm from Georgia, but I just moved here from Colorado where I've lived for the past 8 years.  So, I decided to say I'm from Colorado.  I must say that I do feel a twinge of guilt, like I'm breaking an allegiance to the South and denying my Georgia roots.  But let's be honest, nobody here cares about my Georgia roots, so I just figure I'll tell em where we last came from because it's less confusing. 

Which leads me to reflect on some of our favorite places in Colorado Springs:
Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods.
We could see Pikes from our living room window, and it was such a SPECTACULAR daily reminder of God's majesty.
The Incline.  Workout of champions.  It's a mile straight up of stairs
- steep stairs if you're short like me.
Some people RAN this.  My strategy? - one foot in front of the other, slow and steady.  I learned the hard way that it really is best to eat breakfast beforehand.
Sante Fe Trail.  My kind of place to go bike riding (scenic and mostly flat)
Catamount Resevoir (just outside of the Springs)
When I say we're from Colorado, here are some of the responses I have gotten:
- "Oh, I'm sorry.  Kansas City is nice, but it's not Colorado."
- "Why did you move here?"
- "I've always wanted to live in Colorado."

Sigh.

Before Matt and I moved here, I lamented leaving the beauty of Colorado behind and would dangerously try to capture some last pictures of the mountains while driving.

One day the Lord comforted me with "For though the mountains should depart and the hills be removed, my love and kindness shall not depart from you, nor shall my covenant of peace and completeness be removed, says the Lord who has compassion on you." - Isaiah 54:10

And my heart heard Him say, "Liane, I, the God who created beauty in Colorado, have created beauty in other places too.  Look for it.  And if you don't find it, gaze upon MY beauty."

Matt and I visited IHOP (International House of Prayer) here in KC a few weeks back, and on that Sunday, a group sang with perfect and angelic-like harmony "Oh Lord, You're Beautiful" by Keith Green.  It was the most beautiful song I can remember hearing sung at church.  I sat there and let the words of the chorus wash over me, tears streaming down my face. 

Oh lord, you're beautiful, 
Your face is all I see, 
For when your eyes are on this child, 
Your grace abounds to me.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet, Liane! Nick and I miss you and Matt VERY much! I think it's great you've started a blog! :) Now I can see/hear about what's going on in your lives in Kansas City! I really enjoyed reading this post! I feel the same way about telling people here where I'm from...I'm most recently moved from Michigan, but I'm originally from Georgia...and I also feel a twinge of guilt - exactly like I'm denying my southern roots...but hey, maybe we should just say "I'm an American...and I 'get around'...lol!" Love ya, girl! Praying for you as God lays you on my heart! Rach J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that "Colorado" is where you are from, and it doesn't deny your Georgia roots, but simply makes it less confusing! There is so much in Kansas city that is beautiful, you will find so much to love!

    ReplyDelete