September 1, 2012

New city, new blog - Here's to newness!

Me start a blog?  Who knew?!  I'm not the most tech-savvy gal in the world and have never viewed myself as a potential blogger.

My newfound motivation to start this little blog is two-fold:
- to give our family and friends a peek into our new life here in KC, and
- to share stories of God's goodness so that He may receive praise!

I will tell of the kindnesses of the LORD, the deeds for which he is to be praised, according to all the LORD has done for us!   - Isaiah 63:7

So,... here goes!

I am overwhelmed by God's kind provision and graciousness.  When Matt and I moved from Colorado Springs to Kansas City 2 months ago (wow, it's hard to believe it's already been 2 months), we requested three things of the Lord:
1) that He would help us with the details of the move
2) that He would grant Matt the capacity to succeed in med school
3) that He would lead us to a supportive community of friends

And He has indeed heard our cry!  I shouldn't be surprised at that, and yet each time He proves Himself near and faithful, my heart feels excited like I'm experiencing His goodness for the first time.  I can't help but think of David's words in Psalm 144:3 - "Lord what are mortals that you should notice us? Mere humans that you should care for us?"  And yet amazingly, He does.  Here are some ways I have experienced God's kind provision lately:

1) helped us with the details of the move:
  • UHAUL was out of 17' trucks (what I had paid for and reserved), so instead they said they would give us a 20 footer at the same price!  Little did I know how much we would NEED that extra 3 feet (we juuust barely fit everything in it).  But God knew and provided it before I even knew I had a need.
    "...For your Father knows what you need before you ask Him." - Matthew 6:32
  • My parents, God bless em, made the 9 1/2hour drive with us - 2 cars and a UHAUL- and stayed the week to help us settle in.  They were such a huge blessing.
  • When we arrived in KC, 7 people from my new job and the local church, greeted us and helped us unload our stuff into our new apartment.  We were finished in 45 minutes!  It would have taken us hours without their help.  And they brought us supplies (trash bags, kleenex, dish soap, even homemade bread!) And one of the kind men assembled our bedframe, dining table, bench and hooked up our washer and dryer. And when all was finished, they gathered in a circle and prayed over us - they prayed for our marriage, our transition, Matt's school, my job...I can't describe how special it was to be prayed for by these strangers who didn't feel like strangers at all.  And they gave us a couple giftcards to Target and Subway as a welcome gift!  Really?? I was blown away, having not expected any of that.  As I was trying to adequately thank them with words, one of the helpers said, "Don't you just love the body of Christ?"  I do!!!
  • A couple weeks in, we had settled comfortably into our new home.  We affectionately refer to it as "Our Little Tree House" because it's older with wood steps leading up to it on the 2nd floor and because it's in a wooded area.  (pictures to come)

2) granting Matt capacity for med school:

Med school is no joke.  Matt spends many loooong hours studying and already completed his first midterm (only 2 weeks in - isn't that nuts?)
I am watching as God is building Matt's stamina to endure it.  We went out for Thai food (our favorite) last Monday to celebrate the completion of that midterm.  So long, midterm!


Matt likens med school to "drinking out of a fire hose"
This is how he spends most of his time nowadays

3) led us to a supportive community of friends:
  • Matt has met some guys in his class who are Christians and just plain fun and easy to be with (yay!).
  • I have consequently met these guys' wives and so enjoy them.
  • We found a church (with this same group of friends) and are enjoying the teaching
Not the highest quality picture, I know, but it's the only one I have for now.
Enjoying some BBQ with our new friends.  God bless study breaks.

That's it for now.  I think I can get used to this whole blogging business.

3 comments:

  1. I love it! I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so neat hearing how God is showing you His love in such tangible ways! Know that you guys are still missed and we continue to lift you up in our prayers! When's your next visit back to COS?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liane, Thank you for sharing a piece of your "new" life. We miss you at TCA and yet I know that God has called you and is walking this road with you all. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVEd reading your post and being reminded of God's goodness, faithfulness and provision. I'll be following!

    ReplyDelete