September 5, 2012

The White Coat

Last month, we attended Matt's "White Coating Ceremony."  Here, all the med students received their first white coat.  It's a short one.  When they graduate in 4 years, they will receive the much anticipated long white coat.

After the keynote speaker, the students were each "coated" by a doctor.  Here is Matt right after being "coated."















And here is Matt's entire class of 260.  Where's Waldo Matt?









They took an oath that included this line that I particularly appreciated:

I will be ever cognizant of the human and medical needs of each patient acknowledging that healing also involves the spirit and that a physician must exemplify humane, holistic and compassionate care.

I found some vintage medical prints on the cheap a little while back on Etsy that I thought would be perfect for Matt's office.  There were several choices, but in the end, Matt chose these three to represent Body, Mind, and Spirit:


I was relieved that he didn't go for the eyeball one.  Opthamology is interesting, but I didn't want an eyeball staring at us from the wall.  There was also a skull head option, which would have been a bit too "Grateful Deadish" for my taste.  I think he chose well.

Matt's parents came to town for the special event, and we had such a nice visit with them.  So grateful for supportive parents who are cheering us on.


Here is my man after the ceremony.  I think he looks quite dapper.







As I'm writing this, Matt just asked me if he can palpate my clavicle.  I have learned that becoming a med student's wife automatically signed me up for being a perpetual practice patient (how's that for alliteration?).  At any given time, I need to be ready to have my blood pressure taken, my reflexes checked, and my eyes and ears thoroughly examined.  He has informed me that my right shoulder is a tad higher than my left shoulder (probably, he says, due to overuse).  The hard part for him is that I am a very ticklish patient, and this impedes his work a little bit.  When he recently examined the bones of my feet - forget about it - I was nonstop giggles.  He eventually had to give up.  Poor guy.

Jehovah Rapha - The Lord is Healer - is one of God's many wonderful names that I find myself thinking more about lately.

Several years ago, I had a conversation with my college mentor and dear friend Christin about discerning Jesus's voice.  I will always remember the analogy she gave:

When the enemy points out my wrong-doing, it's like he takes a sledgehammer to my heart and brings guilt and shame.  But when Jesus, our Great Physician, examines my heart, He is gentle and skillful, like he is using a scalpel to point out the defects and what offends Him.

I love how He works on my heart but does not ruin it.  He is compassionate and humane in His dealings with my sick sinfulness, not wanting to leave me in my condition, nor destroying me in the process of His expert healing.

I found this song recently and like to just sit quietly and listen to the words, my soul lifted and grateful.





2 comments:

  1. Liane, do you know how to add the "join this site" button/link to your blog? It is under layout and then add a gadget. You really don't have to do it, it is just an easy way for people to stay updated on your blog without having to look on facebook. I will read it either way :O)

    ReplyDelete